Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Community


Walking east towards the bay, the wind blowing through the narrow stone streets of St. Augustine, I happened upon a young vagabond couple and their infant son. The couple wore no shoes, their hair dreaded, as they peddled bright surrealistic paintings rendered on cardboard roughly torn from boxes found in dumpsters.
They are intentional in their lives, I admit, however different. They are intentional about living in a van, “off the grid,” as they said. Living day to day, no time clocks, credit scores, taxes to be paid.

Nice enough people. Friendly. But I found myself wondering about their young child and the future that they may be unintentionally creating for him. I wondered about their lack of community and how without community I would not be who I am.  

I thumbed through their paintings but none were quite my style. I left the couple and their baby and kept walking towards the bay, more firmly believing that we have been created by God for community.

No comments:

Post a Comment