Sunday, November 27, 2011

Friendship


You don't get to choose your family. By Providence or by Chance, or some combination thereof, you are born into a tribe that shares your blood but, as you age, not necessarily your values.

And that is where the power and purpose of friendship comes in. Friends can become family. In this sense, spirit (that is the spirit that brings people together as friends) can be thicker than blood.

It's no lie to say that without my friends I would be...or not be. My faith in God has been kept afloat more often by friendship than by the Eucharist, the Lord's Supper. Or so I am inclined to believe. For me, friendship has become a sacrament instituted by God and blessed by our brother Jesus. Friendship is the physical sign of God's invisible grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment