Wednesday, March 28, 2012

CAGE FIGHTING and JESUS


I was driving and got stuck behind a bright yellow Hummer. As I contemplated the hideous gas mileage, searing color, and why anyone would need a military style SUV for in-town transportation, something else caught my eye.

On the large darkly tinted rear window were two bumper stickers. One on the left and one on the right. Both had black backgrounds with bold white letters. The sticker on the left declared, “I love Jesus.” The sticker on the right said, “I Love Tap Out,” which refers to the sport-phenomenon known as “cage fighting.”

Cage fighting is an extreme form of boxing, wrestling, and martial arts. The two combatants are literally put inside a cage and left to fight until one person is beaten helpless and must tap the floor to signal surrender. It is not uncommon for the fighters to break noses, require stitches, and be knocked unconscious. Unlike traditional boxing, the fighters may (indeed are encouraged to) strike one another while pinned to the mat. It is a spectator sport for those who lust for blood and violence.

And so you can imagine my surprise to see an “I Love Tap Out” sticker adjacent to an “I love Jesus” sticker. The two are incongruous. Try as I might, I cannot reconcile these two world views. They stand in stark contrast to one another—and the pairing of these two world views makes me sick.



No comments:

Post a Comment